Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thanksgiving Goodness

Who's the master baker? Huh, punk? Who?

Actually you're right, its my mama, but I'm trying my best to follow in her footsteps.

I'm perpetually in charge of the desserts when it comes to the Lu Family, as (no offense Asian people) generally Asians are not so good with the desserts. Their idea of "sweet" leaves much to be desired. I'm happy I didn't grow up with the demented idea that red bean is a freaking dessert. dCommies.

I made a chocolate cranberry tart and the classic pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving dinner. The tart recipe came from a fancy cooking magazine and taxed my skills, but in the end I prevailed. Truman's uncle Peter, the snobbiest person I know, told me I could go into business selling the tarts. That's a huge compliment coming from him.

Pumpkin pie is pumpkin pie. I follow the directions on the pumpkin label like anyone else. I did make my own crust, though. Some day I will learn to make the edges pretty.


I also tried a new twist on stuffing. I made traditional Leslie Kromke recipe bread stuffing, but put it into (well-greased) cupcake tins to bake. They didn't hold together in the muffin shape as much as I would have liked. I'll work on it for next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pies look awesome, the stuffing muffins a little less so. My question is: when are you making the cream wafers and also the meatball subs?
Though Victorian Christmas has become "O Little Towne" these days . . . .