Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fasters Unite!

My lunch options are severely limited during Lent. One of my favorite places around my office is Zankou Chicken, which is hands down one of the best chains in LA for shawarma and roasted chicken, Armenian style.

The ladies in Zankou know me pretty well for ordering the "1/4 plate dark meat" special for lunch. When they see me they just ask "Number 5?" Today I had to say no. Since I know for a fact these ladies are Armenian and therefore more likely than not Armenian Orthodox, I told them I was fasting for Lent.

Well Lord have Mercy did that get them going. They, of course, are fasting too. Armenians kinda all fast the same way, vegan style, as opposed to western Christians who give up everything from swearing to Coca Cola to chocolate for Lent. I ordered hummus and tabouli for lunch. The ladies informed me that the bread they serve has milk, told me to order the rice instead, and gave me 5 extra falafels cuz apparently they feel a camaraderie with me now.

Then they told me to come in the day after Easter for a kabob feast. Now THAT's what I'm talkin' bout. I love you, Zankou ladies.

Who will be going to Zankou for lunch alot this Lent? I think that's a rhetorical question. Oh yes it is.

No comments: